D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) is a collaborative effort by D.A.R.E. certified law enforcement officers, educators, students, parents, and the community to offer an educational program in the classroom to prevent or reduce drug abuse and violence among children and youth. The emphasis of D.A.R.E. is to help students recognize and resist the many direct and subtle pressures that influence students to experiment with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, inhalants, or other drugs, or to engage in violence.
The program offers preventive strategies to enhance those protective factors – especially bonding to the family, school, and community – which research has shown to foster development of resiliency in students who may be at risk for substance abuse or other problem behaviors. The D.A.R.E. decision making model (shown below) is used to help provide the necessary skills to use in developing and assessing choices in life.
D = define problems and challenges / A = assess available choices / R = respond by making a choice / E = evaluate his/her decision
An example of the current D.A.R.E. curriculum for Macomb area schools is as follows:
- Tobacco use and the harmful effects of tobacco on the body
- The use of marijuana and the harmful effects of marijuana
- The use and addiction of alcohol and its harmful effects on the body
- Misconceptions about alcohol use
- The identification of inhalants and their harmful effects on the body
- Types of peer pressure and effective refusal responses
- Identifying and handling “bullies”
- Identifying plans of action to make healthy and wise decisions
The Macomb Police Department’s D.A.R.E. program started in the mid-1980’s and has had several instructors since its introduction.
Past D.A.R.E. Officers at the Macomb Police Department included:
- Ofc. Jenessa Lundgren (retired)
- Sgt. Chris Butcher
- Ofc. Luke Renfroe (retired)
- Sgt. Jason York
- Ofc. David Krohe (retired)
- Chief Michael Galloway (retired)
- Lt. John Royal
- Ofc. Joe Wazny (retired)
- Ofc. Paul Kachinovas (retired)
Macomb’s current D.A.R.E. educator is Officer J.P. McLaughlin. He can be reached via telephone at (309)833-4505 ext. 8122.