Operation Identification (Operation ID) is a citizen’s burglary prevention program for use in residences, businesses, and vehicles. The Operation ID program involves marking property with an identifying number as a means of discouraging burglary and theft. Property that is permanently marked for identification makes it difficult for burglars and thieves to dispose of stolen property easily. A burglar or thief caught with marked property is solid evidence that he/she is in possession of stolen property. It also provides police with a way to identify property should it be stolen and recovered.
Participation in Operation ID
Participating in Operation ID is simple.
1. Engrave valuables with your driver’s license or state ID number (i.e. IL #### – #### – ####)
2. Engrave each item in two locations:
3. Make a list of marked property. Use a copy of our Personal Property Inventory List or make your own list that includes item description, make, model, serial number, color, and value.
4. Photograph or videotape items and keep a copy of photographs or video in a fireproof safe or safety deposit box
5. If an item is too small to engrave then photograph it with particular attention to unique details. Place your driver’s license or state ID and a ruler near the item when photographing the item so that ownership can be established and size can be compared.
6. Display an Operation ID sticker on an exterior door or window so that would-be burglars and/or thieves know that property inside has been marked for identification
What to Mark or Photograph?
Common stolen items from residences, businesses, and vehicles:
Electric engravers can be purchased at most hardware or large department stores. An electric engraver may also be borrowed from the Macomb Police Department during the week (Mon-Fri) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (see a Records employee at our Records window).